Zimbabwe security forces fatally shot at least five people and wounded 25 others during a crackdown on nationwide protests this week against a steep fuel price increase, Human Rights Watch said on Wednesday.
The protests came after labour federation the Zimbabwe Congress of Trade Unions labour movement called for a three-day national strike in response to the 150 percent fuel price hike announced by President Emmerson Mnangagwa.
Protesters burned a police station, barricaded roads with large rocks and looted shops in major cities including the capital Harare, the second largest city of Bulawayo and Kadoma.
The debate over possession of arms is raging following the August 1 killings and the January 14 demos. Today, Mlungisi Moyo the Zanu PF losing candidate for Bulawayo Central in the 2018 elections, posted these pictures of himself as his WhattsApp status pic.twitter.com/LmffJjVaG0
— MDC Zimbabwe (@mdczimbabwe) January 14, 2019
Government security forces responded with live ammunition, rubber bullets, and teargas which they fired at protesters and into people’s homes, Human Rights Watch said.
“Zimbabwe authorities have a duty to maintain security during protests, but they need to do that without using excessive force,” its southern Africa director Dewa Mavhinga said.
The military has cut Zimbabwe off from the rest of the world; social media down, websites down, emails down & telemedicine down, WHAT KIND OF LAW ENFORCEMENT IS THIS BRUTALITY?@DIRCO_ZA @CyrilRamaphosa @Davos #SwitchBackOnZW #KeepItOnZW pic.twitter.com/YxdN8Hu6Ob
— Prof Jonathan Moyo (@ProfJNMoyo) January 16, 2019
“Those responsible for using unlawful lethal force should be promptly investigated and held accountable.”
The rights group said it had been told by members of the Zimbabwe Association of Doctors for Human Rights that they provided emergency medical services to 25 people with gunshot injuries on Monday.
Two people in Chitungwiza, near Harare and three in Kadoma had died from gunshot wounds.
This is what is happening in the cover of darkness in Zimbabwe 🇿🇼 People are being slaughtered by the military😒 @SkyNews @BBCWorld @KateHoeyMP @LynNemudonhi @Wamagaisa @KristenMuwani @Munashe_mb @TsunguAlice pic.twitter.com/yhzlOFeXwW
— Mbuya Gudo (@MamoyoT) January 16, 2019
CHEATING SCANDAL!!! Akhona responds to Scoop Makhathini’s Twitter rant!
This is the thing about being betrayed by the one that you love dearly, you almost want to tell the whole world about that person’s not so good deeds. Such was the case with one of Mzansi’s most revered hip hop commentator and all round entertainer, Siyabonga Scoop Ngwekazi, who allegedly took to his Twitter page last night and vented about his girlfriend, Akhona Carpede – accusing her of cheating.
Twitter was lit after Scoop dragged Akhona as he posted a series of tweets expressing just how hurt he was by her actions. In one of the posted, he even included a photo of Akhona and the alleged guy that was regarded as a”Best friend” by her.
However, a few moments later Scoop then stated that his Twitter account was actually hacked, therefore his rant about his girlfriend is false. This move from Scoop left many Tweeps wondering if his account was truly hacked or there’s actually more to the story than meets the eye?
Well, earlier yesterday Akhona posted what seemed like a subtle jab surrounding her and Scoop currently. The general tone of her tweet have left many convinced that there was no hacking of accounts on Scoop’s end, as he had maintained after the frenzy last night.
Taking to Twitter, the following was posted by Akhona.
Be still Madlomo. No clapback or retort to your detractors is worth it. Be content to play the game that is being a strong, independent black women. Those that love me, I love you. Those that loathe me, I love you too.❤️ #Akhona pic.twitter.com/CL49VQxRg1
— acalaca (@MissAcalaca) April 17, 2019
It’s interesting how she mentioned the word “loath” in this tweet as that’s exactly what was tweeted by Scoop’s alleged hacker.
“YOU KNOW MY NUMBER!!! Zahara’s message to her fans
AFTER singer Zahara’s explosive accusations against her former record label bosses, the star has been inundated with bookings, but she says the bookings were still done via her old management with which she parted ways.
The star took to her Instagram account to clarify through a video post, that now bookings should be done via Oyama Dyosiba, who does publicity for her, as well as bookings.
The Loliwe hitmaker went on to thank her fans for their unwavering support after the revealing that TS records owes her millions of rands.
The star whose real name is Bulelwa Mtukutana went on to MoFlav’s show The Drive to dish out some dirt on how she was allegedly swindled out of millions of rands by TS records.
However, both Sbu and TK Nciza have denied that they owe her money and claim that they paid her all the money that was owed to her.
DJ Zinhle And Jessica Nkosi Break The Internet With Stunning Selfies
Such beauty in one pic is a rare thing. DJ Zinhle and Jessica Nkosi left many in awe of their looks as they took over Twitter.
They are part of a music video in which Zinhle is a beautiful bride.
— #MeetingYourPower #ERAbyDJZinhle #ZeeNation (@DJZinhle) April 17, 2019
— Jessica Nkosi (@JessicaNkosi) April 17, 2019