Hardly six months after taking over TheWeekend Edition on SABC3, Phat Joe and Khanyi’s days on the show are rumoured to be over. This after the SABC has allegedly decided not to renew their contracts.
Sources close to the situation say their show has been canned.
“They have already been notified in writing that the show will no longer return for season two,” said the source.
Insiders at the public broadcaster claimed the show will be aired for the last time on Christmas Day.
This comes after the staff members were allegedly handed official letters informing them that their contracts were coming to an end on December 25.
An SABC source said: “We don’t know what the future holds for them but we are not sure if there will be season two. I think they realised the show was not doing so well and they decided not to give it a another season.
“It’s we, the workers, who will be jobless come January. I don’t know how I’m going to pay for my kid’s school fees!
“They just gave us letters last week, informing us that we would be jobless,” the source said.
Another source said: “I’m already looking for employment. They were supposed to be fair to us because the show began in June.
Phat Joe said: “I don’t know anything about that. Speak to the production house or the SABC.”
SABC’s spokesman, Kazier Kganyago said: “We cannot account on the issues of the production house and their employees.
“We are not aware of that and there’s no indication that the show will be canned.”