Muvhango boss Duma Ndlovu has revealed that there is no money to pay Muvhango actors, as the show’s contract with the SABC expired in August and has since not been renewed.
This comes hot on the heels of reports claiming that Muvhango’s production team went on a four-day strike from Monday, last week, after their salaries were allegedly not paid.
However, the show’s creator dismissed the claims in a Sunday World report, explaining that production was temporarily halted after instructing cast members to not come to work, because there was no money to pay them.
“Our contract with the SABC expired in August, and without a new contract, there is no money to pay actors,” Ndlovu told the local publication.
“I have said this before. I still don’t have a new contract.”
Shortly after, Ndlovu claimed that he managed to pay all his actors after getting a letter from the SABC committing to sign a new contract by the end of October, which he then sent to the bank to get funding for salaries.
“I have paid all my actors. We sent them SMS messages again telling them that they can come back to work. There was no strike.”
This is not the first time that the show has been plagued with speculations of unsatisfied cast members.
It was widely reported in July this year that the senior actors, including Sindy Dlathu, Dingaan Mokebe ka Khumalo, Cynthia Shange and Senzokuhle Radebe embarked on a form of protest in an effort to express their unhappiness.
While it wasn’t exact No money to pay actors, says Muvhango creator Duma Ndlovu – reportsly clear what they were ‘unhappy’ about, Sunday Sun’s sources revealed that some of the cast members met with to express their concerns.
However, speaking to TshisaLIVE at the time, the show’s publicist, Amanda Ngudle, poured cold water over the rumours, insisting that no strike took place.
“The reports are untrue. I therefore cannot give you a comment,” she said.